• Name: Erica Vogt
• Age: 33
• Height: 5’2½ “
• Weight (Contest): 110 lbs.
• Weight (Off-Season):116 lbs.
• Hometown: St. Mary’s, PA
• Gym: Team Bombshell member, I train in my hometown at my high school gym
• Profession: Reading Specialist, Varsity Volleyball Coach
2. What got you started in bodybuilding/fitness?
I originally began as an athlete in high school, but kept it up because it just felt right. It became a natural choice when my cousins began competing in Fitness USA. I figured I’d give it a try! I began in the bikini division last season, 2010 after seeking training advice from a friend who has an athletic performance company.
3. What keeps you motivated to train?
Since health and wellness is my passion, training, of course, is simply a part of my daily routine. I have an intense desire to achieve my best possible physique. Hence, when I’m training for an upcoming competition and running on the treadmill or pushing through a session on the arc trainer, I visualize myself onstage winning it big. That’s what pushes me through, the exhilaration of the win. Off-season, I need to train and workout to relieve stress and get that sense of accomplishment. I do a lot of good thinking during training….it is MY time to zone.
4. What workout plan has worked best for you?
My figure training has been very good for me, much more so than bikini.
Training plan that has worked best for me:
• 45 minutes of treadmill running on an empty stomach.
Day 1 - Monday – Chest / Shoulders / Triceps
• Rest 1 minute between sets.
• 4 sets of 15 reps Incline Smith Machine Press
• 4 sets of 12 reps Incline Dumbbell Fly
• 4 sets of 10 reps Flat Fly
• 4 sets of 15 reps Arnold Dumbbell Press
• 4 sets of 12 reps Side Lateral Raises
• 4 sets of 10 reps Rear Lateral Dumbbell Raises
• 5 sets of 15 reps Tricep Rope Pushdowns
• 5 sets of 12 reps Weighted Bench Dips
Day 2 - Tuesday - Legs
• 4 x 20 reps Leg Extensions
• 4 x 15 reps Leg Curls
• 4 x 10 reps Smith Machine Squats
• 4 x 15 reps Walking Lunges
• 4 x 20 reps Stiff Legs
Day 3 - Wednesday - Off
Day 4 - Thursday – Back / Biceps
• 4 x 15 reps Wide Grip Pulldowns
• 4 x 12 reps One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
• 4 x 10 reps Cable Rows
• 4 x 20 reps Hyperextensions
Day 5 - Friday
• I do a circuit of 3 sets and 10 reps of my favorite exercise for each body part. I only rest 30 seconds between exercises.
5. What is your philosophy about cardio?
You need cardio in your daily routine for heart health and fat burning…but don’t overdo it!!
6. What is your philosophy about weight training?
I lift as heavy as possible. Why do anything else? I have to push to make the changes I want to see…100 percent every time, otherwise you’re just going through the motions. Each time I train, I focus on working harder…I truly believe in, “Go hard, or go home!”
7. Do you prefer HIIT or steady state cardio?
I like both…I’ll mix it up from time to time to give my body a break and/or to keep from getting used to the same old thing. For instance, I do a lot of interval training throughout the week. That’s hard on my knees and the cardio equipment! So, on weekends I will change it up and do a nice steady pace just to keep my heart rate up, give my joints a break and allow my body to recover a bit.
8. What are your top 5 favorite exercises?
My two favorite body parts to train are abs and back.
• Shoulder Presses
9. What is your philosophy about nutrition?
I feel that once you make the choice to compete or get healthy, you need a good nutrient dense plan that you should use year-round. I don’t like the ups and downs of prepping for a show…healthy eating should be a lifestyle!
10. What nutrition plan has worked best for you?
This is the daily nutritional plan that has worked well for me:
• 5 egg whites (one yolk)
• 1/2 cup oatmeal
• 1/2 orange
• 5 oz white tuna
• 1/2 cup brown rice
• 1 scoop of protein
• 1/2 apple
• 5 oz chicken breast
• 4 oz sweet potato
• 1/2 cup green beans
• 5 oz turkey breast
• 1/2 cup mixed carrots and green peas
• 5 egg whites
• 1/2 pita bread
11. What is your favorite cheat food?
I love my pasta, pizza, and chocolate. But by far, my biggest weaknesses are cookies and butter cream frosting! Together or separate, I cannot have either of them in my sight during contest-prep!
12. What is your favorite health food?
I enjoy almost all food, but my biggest fav’s are chicken, sweet potatoes, egg whites and oatmeal!
13. What supplements have given you the greatest gains?
I have found amazing progress with BSN Lean Dessert protein powder. It tastes amazing and the consistency is like pudding! The fast and slow digesting protein in that shake have helped with muscle recovery and keeping my metabolism speeding along!
In addition, CLA has helped me maintain lean mass while burning off body fat.
14. What does your pre and post workout nutrition consist of?
I really don’t do anything different prior to my workout…although I will drink a post-workout shake after a super intense training. I always have BSN Lean Dessert because of the different proteins, amazing taste and consistency.
15. Which tools have helped you most with your nutrition and training?
When I first began, I used Bodybuilding.com as a major resource. Most information I found on my own and literally Googled because there aren’t many resources in my area. As I made contacts in the sport, I have made friendships with many knowledgeable people who have provided me with a lot of insight and information.
16. Have online resources (social networks) helped you in your training?
When I first began competing, I started on Bodybuilding.com. Over the past year, I have found Souixcountry.com, MuscleDog.com and Smashfit.com to be informative and interesting as well!
17. Where is the first place you turn to when looking for training / fitness / nutrition advice?
My fabulous coaches at Team Bombshell! They push us all to be the best we can be. Shannon Dey is a strong, intelligent woman who is such an inspiration and strives to empower women of all kinds. Her tough love keeps me pushing and I LOVE it! Also, I have found FitnessRx to be a fantastic resource. I enjoy the fact that the magazine covers the sport of Figure, Fitness and Bikini because I can relate to all the issues covered in the medium.
18. Who are your favorite fitness/bodybuilder competitors or role models?
I would love Jamie Eason’s job! I also look up to Nicole Wilkens, Gen Strobo, Kristen Nagrani, Jamie Baird and Missy Coles. They are all fabulous, beautiful and incredibly nice women.
19. What obstacles have you had to overcome?
This summer, prior to a national show I began to feel a little rough. I was pushing just a little too hard and wasn’t seeing the results I wanted. Then, a double whammy…I hurt my knee and got a staph infection on my toe. It kept coming back until I finally just had to take a small break. The break was needed, mentally and physically. Now that I’m back in to my routine, I feel fantastic.
Another obstacle might be my dating life, haha. I am either working or in the gym, so it is pretty difficult to “date” due to time restrictions. One would think the “food thing” would be a hindrance, but you can always find health food on my plan or I just bring it with me.
20. What was the biggest mistake you made when you first started training?
I went to my first show alone and did my own everything (hair, makeup, tan). It can be done, but it was so difficult. It makes things much less stressful when you have some support. Luckily, the competitors were very nice and I made some great friends that I still talk to and hang out with!
21. What tips would you give to a beginner?
Find yourself a friend or a good trainer who can help your progress by critiquing your physique and/or coming to shows with you. It’s much better to have someone help you get prepare! Also, be kind and friendly to everyone…you never know who you’ll meet, it helps to have friends in this sport.
22. What are your future fitness goals?
Ultimately, I want that pro-card. I want to take this as far as I can and help as many as I can live good, healthy lives. I wouldn’t mind doing some fitness/athletic modeling as well.
23. Where can we find you on MuscleDog.com?
Check out my profile EVFigure for more info. You can also find me on Facebook!